If you are working on being a locavore, it helps to have a plan. Whether you are a Farmers’ Market newbie or a well-seasoned veteran, we have got the low-down on what you can expect to find in-season and when and where in Hendricks County.
Why does it matter? Eating locally supports local agriculture, requires the use of less energy to transport food, fosters a sense of community, makes less waste and it is better for you.
Before you visit a Farmers’ Market it helps to know which fruits and vegetables will be at the peak of the season so you can plan accordingly. The info below will allow you to know when you can find your favorites and also when the season will wane (this is when you can get the best deal on bulk purchases). We will focus on the local favorites:
- Strawberries & Blackberries: Get ready! These delicious little beauties are ready in June. Look for shiny, brightly colored fruits that are fragrant.
- Lettuce & Other Greens: High in antioxidants and easy to prepare, greens are also ready in June. Be sure to eat them soon after purchase for the best flavor.
- Peas: Peas that are homegrown are sweet and lovely. Eat them raw, cook them right away or freeze them for later. Peas are available throughout June and into July.
- Potatoes, Broccoli, Carrots & Beets: Farmers’ Markets have all kinds of varieties to choose from. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. You will find all of these available beginning in mid-late June and into July.
- Beans, Cucumbers, Melons, Sweet Corn, Squash & Tomatoes: Jackpot! All of these wonderful local favorites are ripe at about the same time. Mid-July through August you will be able to feast on this bounty.
Now that you know what will be available, you need to know when and where to take advantage of this lush, local produce. Fortunately, this community is blessed with many active Farmers’ Markets. Here are the dates, times and locations for 2018:
- Avon: Tuesdays, 4pm to 7pm, June through September in the parking lot in front of Hendricks Regional Health, Avon (8244 E US Hwy 36)
- Brownsburg: Thursdays, 4pm to 7pm, June 7 through September 6 at the Brownsburg Town Hall Green (61 N. Green Street)
- Danville: Saturdays, 8am to noon, May 12th to September 1st on the west side of the Courthouse Square
- Pittsboro: Wednesdays, 5:30pm to 7:30pm in July and August at Scamahorn Park (52 W. Main Street)
- Plainfield: Wednesdays, 4pm to 7pm, beginning June 6th to September 12th, Plainfield Friends Meeting (US Hwy 40 & St Rd 267)