America Recycles Day is celebrated each year on November 15. It’s a day to think about your trash; how much you produce, where it goes, the environmental impact of products we buy, reusing what we can, recycling and safe disposal of hazardous materials. This is the part where your eyes glaze over and you stop reading, right?
What if we said that this America Recycles Day we want you to do “just one thing”? Each one of our steps toward sustainability matter, you just need to take the first (or next) step. Here are some easy ideas for your “just one thing”.
- Switch to reusable bags at the grocery. We know you have them. We all have them. The trick is remembering to bring them to the store. Try storing them in the glove box or putting them back in the trunk after you unload the groceries at home. You can even buy reusable mesh bags for produce.
- Take your own mug to your favorite coffee shop to be refilled and wash it at the end of the day.
- Stop buying bottled water. The water coming from your tap is more closely monitored for contaminants than the bottled water you buy at the store. Bonus: It’s free!
- Look at repair options when something stops working rather than trashing it.
- Donate, donate, donate! Your trash is someone else’s treasure. Social media is a great way to find people who might have a need for your unwanted items.
- Compost your food scraps and yard waste. (Okay that might be two things)
- Pack no-waste lunches for work or school.
- Look up what can be recycled in your area and pick one item to start with or expand your existing recycling efforts to include something new. The best tool? Our online Recycling Directory has lots of reuse and recycling options in or near Hendricks County.
- Use your local library.
- Mark your calendar for next year’s Tox-Away Days for your Household Hazardous Materials (all Tox-Away Days are open from 8am to 1pm).
- April 8–Brownsburg High School, 1000 South Odell Street
- May 20–Hendricks Co. Fairgrounds, 1900 E. Main Street, Danville
- July 29–Hickory Elementary, 907 Avon Avenue, Avon
- September 16–Hendricks Co. Fairgrounds, 1900 E. Main Street, Danville
- October 21–Plainfield Middle School, 985 South Longfellow Lane
We can’t all do everything, but we can all do something. Thank you for doing your “just one thing”. Happy America Recycles Day!